Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Don't Judge a Book by its Cover



I know that this topic is off from what I usually post but it'll be my first attempt at making an actual blog post that has some sort of point to it behind just sharing my life with the world. This post will be more of a rant then anything else but please feel free to comment with your thoughts or opinions on the topic.

If you're easily offended or impressionable I don't recommend reading on past this.


Last week California revoked Prop 8 which was the law that said that gay marriage was illegal. Now I know that this is a touchy subject so I'm going to attempt to be gentle with it. I for one think that this law should have never been put into place. No matter what my personal views or opinions are, to me I don't see why I should stand in the way of someone else living their life how they want when clearly they aren't hurting me or anyone else by doing so.

This brings me to the original topic at hand, respect. A friend of mine was talking to me this week and was telling me about how people were hating on her and sending her mean and hateful things because she's a lesbian. She doesn't want to go back to church thanks to those people. I've seen this time and time again. We push our personal beliefs onto someone else and expect them to be ok with it. When in fact it's very disrespectful.

I may not be a Bible buff but I know enough to know that the Bible clearly says that the only judge is Jesus our Heavenly Father. So please tell me why is it that we feel the need to judge and condemn every person who doesn't see things the way we do.

Now I'm sure that some of you are sitting on the other side of this computer shaking your head, looking up something to counteract what I just said or thinking "I don't judge people." Well truth be told we all do. Whether it's about church or whether it's about everyday life we all are guilty of being judgmental.

Anytime you say something like "That person must be gothic because they're wearing black." or "That girl must not be in the church because her hair is short." you're judging. You don't know their story. For all you know the person could have just got back from a funeral and that may have been all the clothes they could find to wear. The girl who you think isn't in the church because her hair is short may in fact just be a cancer survivor who lost her hair during treatment.

Be careful how you think of people and how to act with them. If you're a christian be sure to be respectful and understand that not everyone sees the way you do. If you're not a christian be respectful and understand that people have feelings. Like they always used to teach us in school
"Do unto others as you would have done unto you."



Think about that next time you're at the mall or you're with a group of people and you see someone you would normally pass judgment on.



A show everyone should watch: If you really knew me, MTV

Picture from google images © to rightful owners